View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
NYC and the city of Philadelphia will always be separate, but there's plenty of overlap between the metro areas already. They even have public transit overlap, since New Jersey Transit operates trains and buses into both New York and Philadelphia.

NY and Philadelphia are probably the only two major cities in the U.S. that are located in two different states but you can still get from one to the other by only using local public transit services (i.e. not Amtrak or Greyhound).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
You can exclusively use local transit between Chicago and Milwaukee as well.

Take Metra's UPN commuter rail line from Chicago to its northern terminus in Kenosha, then transfer to the Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee commuter bus into Milwaukee (the two routes actually are scheduled to sync up when they can).

Of course, doing that will take you at least 2x longer than just taking Amtrak's Hiawatha route between Chicago and Milwaukee, but it is possible
This applies to LA/SD as well.

I feel that Los Angeles and San Diego are separate metros, but there is some overlap and transit overlap as well. If Temecula in southern Riverside County is considered part of the IE, then I know of a person who commutes from Temecula to San Diego for work, and I know of a person who lives in San Diego who actually commutes to Temecula.

Also, the LA commuter rail Metrolink goes as far south as Oceanside in northern San Diego County. From there, you could transfer to the local SD County commuter rail network (COASTER and SPRINTER).

And then of course there's Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner service that goes from San Luis Obispo with a stop at LA's Union Station (and other stops of course) and then terminates in San Diego.

~ Charles Bukowski