View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 28, 2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
There's been progress at the former California State Building site.

-yes, still waiting for them to dig up that cache of art deco chandeliers and lighting fixtures. -fingers crossed.

Beaudry's recent excursion down to the site.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=21802

__
That's a strange angle on the remaining structure, more akin to the alignment of the old hall of records and the funky-angled streets that once ran nearby, than the State Building. That corner of the State Building property was mostly lawn. Could this be the remains of an earlier building?

I've been Googling for a good picture and this is what I came up with:

From a gsjansen post WAY back in the thread.

Looks like the third Times Building was on that corner spot, from 1912 to 1938.

From a post by FredH, here is the third Times Building in 1936, with the State Building right up next to it at the left edge of the photo. The side of the Times Building is clearly angled funny.

FredH's post, photo source LA Times

So, what do you think? Is that the basement of the 1912 Times building in the new photo? I'm thinking that it is. I guess they just tore it down to ground level in 1938 and left the rest!

Edit: One more photo:

LA Daily Mirror

The State Building is under construction while the Times Building sits on the corner, with other smaller buildings next to it filling out the rest of the block along 1st Street. The Times Building is clearly shaped just like that basement in the modern photo, including that extra chunk protruding in the back corner.

Last edited by ProphetM; Jun 29, 2014 at 12:05 AM.