View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post

Agfa Film (as seen on the awning) was a Belgian-German company. In 1941 their American assets were seized as enemy property, and the American part of the company was rechristened as Ansco. In 1945 when the Allies broke up IG Farben, Agfa reappeared as an individual business.

So I suppose that would rule out the years 1941 through 1945 for the photograph?

I wouldn't necessarily rule that out. There could be any number of reasons why it would still say Agfa Film on the awning in any of those years, IMO.

Stream of consciousness...It's an intriguing photo because there's so little in the way of clues. All the readable store signs are pretty generic, Discount Drugs, Cutrate, Sells for Less. There are no other people in the photograph on the street. The bicycle on the left has a lot of things hanging from it. The boy seems more contemporary than usually seen in a 40's photograph, maybe it's that hat. Or the collared polo-type shirt? The car one can see in the reflection in the store windows looks modern to my eyes, but it's a reflection. At the end of the street, is that a truck in the road? Is that white line in the picture a crease in it? What's on the crate by the boy's feet? At the end of the walk it looks like a pole in the middle of the sidewalk? I'm assuming the Miss Liberty Dolls advertised are paper dolls? Why is someone from Cambridge Springs, PA, selling this photograph and where did it come from?