View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 24, 2015, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

Exterior view of the new Milliron's store in Westchester on March 17, 1949. A large crowd was drawn to official opening ceremonies at the store on Sepulveda Blvd. near Manchester.

LAPL

flickr

Was acquired by the Broadway in the 1950s. The building later became a Mervyn's and is now Kohl's.

Google earth

No longer has parking on the roof.
You can see rcarlton's full post here - it also includes a couple of artist's sketches. tovangar2 posted a follow-up about the free-standing display windows here.

Julius Shulman visited Milliron's in the year it opened. This is his "Job 434: Gruen and Krummeck, Milliron's (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1949". I'll start with this view of the front on a wet night in Westchester.

The entrance to the roof-top parking lot looked fabulous at night.

Here's a view of the same entrance in daylight, complete with a sign advertising the terrace restaurant and beauty shop.

Looking the other way, there was even a small free-standing display between the ramp and the stairs.

The entrance and exit ramps made an elegant "X" on the side of the store.

This is the aforementioned terrace restaurant, which looked out on the roof-top parking lot. The structure on the left with the vents seems to have been removed from the current layout.

The photoset includes a couple of interior shots.

I'm surprised at how narrow the escalators are compared to the stairs.

All from Getty Research Institute

This additional photo, taken from the stairs in the image above, is the only picture in "Job 432: Gruen and Krummeck, Milliron's (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1949". There's no description with this picture to say what the special occasion was.

Getty Research Institute

We've seen the front corner of the building in its more recent incarnations as Mervyn's and Kohl's, but I don't think we've seen the old car ramp. Boarded up and blocked by a small tree, it's a pale shadow of the former grandeur. I'd guess that the stairs on the right are now only used as a fire exit, and the small display box is long gone. I've used the January 2015 GSV images to get the trees without their leaves.

GSV

Looking at Historic Aerials, the roof no longer shows any bay markings on the 1994 image, and the large structure on the roof has also gone. The exit ramp disappears between the 2003 and 2004 images. Here's the current (January 2015) side view which shows the much-enlarged ground-level parking lot entrance. I miss the symmetry of the original design.

GSV