View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick m View Post
These apts were on the 300 block of North Hill St --- USC should have that correct info added by now.
interesting that this particular photograph's location come's up.

back in may, i had received a flickermail asking the same question.

Dear gsjansen,

It's rather a very interesting collection of the LA's historic photographs you have! I really enjoyed it. The USC Digital Library has thousands of published images related to the LA's history, and some of them is exact match to yours. Which is, I assume, quite inevitable in the age of the Internet

BTW, I wonder how did you get the location info for this image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33455118@N08/5643203995/ ? We have the same photograph in our collection but no geo-related data is available.

Many thanks in advance,

Yuri Shcherbina
Metadata Manager
USC Digital Library

I had responded,

thank you for your kind message on the images i have posted on my flickr photostream.

yes quite a few of the photographs are from the USC Digital Archive.

i began posting images to my flickr account so that friends of mine could see in images the amazing change and growth that los angeles has experienced in a very short period of time.

I always try to verify locations and dates of photographs that i upload by means of comparing maps, other photographs, and news articles.

the photo that you asked about, i was able to date due to the level of construction completed on city hall. i was able to locate the image as being on hill street, north of temple mainly because of the los angeles city garage that is visible at the lower far right hand side of the image.

here is a link to a 1940 image from the los angeles public library photographic collection showing the intersection of hill and temple where the garage is very visible

http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics37/00068219.jpg

i hope that answers your question properly.

i'm assuming it is the same Yuri you make reference to in your next post.