View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 12:59 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
The best is you people advocate for benefiting the corporations. Remember when grocery bags were free? And now they’re selling them for anywhere from 30 cents to three bucks a pop! But we’re saving the environment! lol

You could also look at your parking free housing developments the same way. People are championing profits for corporations and developers under the guise of environmentalism. The only people who win in a parking less condo building are the developers.
That doesn't make any sense. We're blaming "environmentalism" for corporations choosing to not pass on reduced costs to the consumer? So we're supposed to encourage wasteful behaviour just to prevent the corporations from making extra money even though damage to the environment does a lot more to harm lower income people than to the wealthy? So then if you can't improve the environment by being more efficient since efficiency means lower costs for companies, then how do you do it? Be as inefficient as possible to stick it to both corporations and the environment?

Reusable bags can be used so many times that each use equates to a couple cents or less. I have reusable bags that I've used for YEARS and not only do they still work fine, they also don't cut into my hands as much when carrying heavy loads and it basically eliminates the risk of them breaking. So the tiny cost is irrelevant. But now that the corporations aren't spending money to provide thousands of free plastic bags per day, they should be passing on that savings to consumers. If they aren't that isn't consumer's fault. Same as not including parking with condos. Each parking space costs thousands or even tens of thousands in land, construction costs, or both. You can't simultaneously defend corporations while claiming that they're refusing to pass on any of those cost savings. If the current system is working well and doing what it's supposed to, then if it costs corporations less to produce a product or service then they will charge less to provide it to consumers. If the system isn't working well and that isn't happening, then we're right to complain.

But I agree that it's up to the government (or more precisely for us to elect a government) to make the changes to ensure a better system. And that's the whole point of complaining. If anyone views the solution as just "If we get mad then corporations will just give up billions in profits to make us happy" then they're crazy.