View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

below: The vintage photograph was taken at Frank Fortier's "Gaslights".

eBay

I'm not sure where in Hollywood this nightclub was located.

It's unfortunate that there isn't a date stamp or any handwritten information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

If only the back of the "Gaslights" folder had included the names of the people in the photograph. - or even a date.
I found this clipping in the January 29, 1948 edition of the 'Forest Park Review' from Forest Park, Illinois. The former Forest Park residents were taking part as an olio act in "the popular show Gaslights". I've had trouble locating the "famed Daly Opera House", but the article does mention "noted Hollywoodian" Frank Fortier.

www.newspapers.com

It may be unrelated, but, according to the City Directories, there was someone called F A Fortier living at 1606 S Genesee Avenue during the first half of the 1960s.

ETA:

I finally found a reference to the Daly Opera House and "Gas Lights" in a book called 'Los Angeles: A Guide to the City and its Environs' which I found here (it's a 576 page PDF file). First published in 1941, this is from the 1951 second edition. It lists the Daly Opera House at La Brea Avenue and Beverly Boulevard.

krishikosh.egranth.ac.in (28.2Mb PDF file)

Last edited by HossC; Sep 14, 2015 at 1:15 PM. Reason: Added Daly Opera House information.