View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 4:15 PM

Eureka Scott!!!

It has taken quite a bit of time and digging but I finally found the right Packard Geek to ask about the car. Here is what he just sent me in an e-mail.

"I did locate on of the articles on a vehicle that initially looks like the one in your photograph, it's in this club's quarterly publication The Packard Cormorant, Spring 2010 (#138). I believe that back issues are still available - check the main website for information. If not, I had an article published in that same issue and probably have an extra copy somewhere. The car was also the subject of a letter in the same publication in the Summer 1975 issue - at that time the original tail lamps had been removed and replaced with those from a post-1950 model.

BUT, the vehicle in that article, strikingly similar in appearance to yours, would appear to perhaps NOT be the same car. Based on the hood side trim It's on the "160" or Super Eight chassis whereas your pictures clearly shows the world "One Twenty" on the hood side trim which would be "junior" or lesser 8-cylinder model. Of course it's possible that at one point or another over the years some badge-engineering was done, the identifying trim altered to indicate a different chassis - vehicle and engine numbers would help establish that.

The car in the article is rather unique in that it has 3 side doors, two on the right side and only 1 on the left side, and double, center-opening rear doors, these details appear to be the same on the car you pictured. That two such cars, one on the 120 and one on the 160 chassis, were built would seem very remote indeed. The article states the car was built for opera singer John Charles Thomas with the coachwork done by Standard Carriage Works of Los Angeles. At some point it was sold to a Mr. William Harris. It was displayed at the 1999 Packard Centennial in Warren OH and subsequently sold to a private museum on Long Island, according to the article."

Here is a photo of the car, taken in 1975, that accompanied the article he is referencing.

So the car was a one off just like we expected and it appears it is still extant and being treasured on Long Island. Great news!!!

~Jon Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab Fifties Fan View Post
That is a mystery as the body style is quite different from the 1945-46's. The script says One Twenty, believe me its hard to read even close up!

I will let you know what I find out from the Packard Geeks.

~F3