View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Yes, that's the Laugh In stage. This was during the Vietnam war. Wayne was spoofing his macho image in 1972. Wayne appeared several times on the show. In 1971 he appeared with Tiny Tim to celebrate the 100th episode.
Laugh In's best ratings years were 1968-1970. It straggled along until 1972 or '73 (?). John Wayne appeared definitely in the later stages. It tried to have a hippie era irreverence that faded as the 1960s gave way to the '70s. I wonder how many people here don't know who Tiny Tim was or saw him sing "Tiptoe Through the Tulips With Me"? A man on his own less trodden and unusual path in life. No doubt viewers said something like "Martha, I don't think we're in the '50s anymore". Tiny Tim was part of that shift. "The Graduate" was another. Of course the Beatles. "Do your own thing" ethos. Perhaps Wayne and Rowan & Martin for that matter looked at Tiny Tim and the whole hippie era as a funny freak show act, but went along with it to show they were hip. The biggest ratings ever on the Johnny Carson show was Tim's marriage to "Miss Vickie".

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 18, 2020 at 8:24 AM.