View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 5:40 PM

I don't know if this fits this thread, but you can use your imagination. As I said previously, much of my family lives (or is from) the Los Angeles/Orange County area. My Mom's side is from Alhambra and earlier, Highland Park. My Dad's family is from (and still lives) in and around Orange County. My grandfather was actually a city councilman for Placentia. He was also a huge smoker, of cigarettes and pipes. Although he died years ago, my Dad and his uncle came across a gigantic box (like 12" x 24" x 12") full of old used matchbooks, many from the 40s and 50s. Apparently (obviously) he collected them. I got to pick out a bunch of the ones I liked. I stuck with the ones that were Old Vegas themed, many from WW2/propaganda era, and then ones of old buildings. Here are some below:

These are likely from the 40s and 50s. I imagine they were used in the cocktail lounges of the various hotels. For the sake of this thread, let's assume some kind of shady deals were discussed between city representatives and developers/mobsters/crooks/whatever at these various hotels' lounges. If nothing else, they're cool looking.

From the Los Angeles area:

From other CA parts, SD, SF, etc.

Not a single one of these had any matches left in them. He smoked a lot apparently.