View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 6:39 PM
not a NIMBY

Thanks EF!

wildlife in India

buffalo

jackals

Spotted deer in the early morning mist.

National Parks in India open at 6 am. A lottery is held and routes are distributed evenly. A Park guide must be hired to accompany the vehicle in the Park. Some Parks close again from 930 am to 3 pm and then for the night at 6 pm. Vehicles must stay on track and on the assigned route.
Elephants can go off-road and that is when we got our best tiger viewing from on top of elephants.
I saw a total of 18 Asiatic lions, and saw a Jungle cat although it was moving too fast to shoot a picture of. They aren't rare but they are rarely seen.

bee eater

Asiatic lioness and one of her 2 cubs in Gir National Park, Gujarat (near the Arabian Sea)

trance dancing with the siddis.
the siddis are from Africa and live in Gujarat India.
I am including them in this thread because they are an ancient traditional culture who see themselves as part of the natural world.
they drummed, breathed fire, threw hot coals to each other, danced, built human pyramids and even hoisted me up on top of someone's shoulders and danced me around the fire.
I looked all around for my peeps to see if they were joining in the fun, but none of them were there.
They went for dinner instead. I was the only non-Indian in the crowd which was great.

ele smiling

misty sunrise Bandhargarh National Park, Madya Pradesh.
a 6 hour drive from the nearest airport, in the heart of the middle of India

a big Bengal!