View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
US non-Hispanic White population has already declining and Baby Boomer generation hasn't even started to die out.

When that happen, the US White population will experience a sharp decline and even in a very unlikely event of a recovering TFR, that will not be enough as the generation dying will be bigger than the generation in the child bearing age.

Other racial groups will soon follow suit and immigration will be scarce as the main sources will be also experiencing decline.

There's nothing rosy about US demographics.
The U.S. has thrived off of immigration for more than half a century. The geographic origin of American Baby Boomers is more diverse than any generation that preceded it because the U.S. opened up paths to immigration for non-Europeans in the 1960s. Subsequent generations just continued that trend. I don't think much has really changed other than the current political climate. Most of the factors that has made the U.S. the most sought migrant destination will be for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The U.S., in theory, is in better demographic shape than any developed country, because it's the most desirable place for skilled immigrants. The challenge is political, not structural.
I agree with this and I think the current situation will ultimately just be a blip.