View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I like this picture too:

USC archive

In the center you can see a 3-story apartment building; it has a sign on top that I can't read, "????? APT-HOTEL." Anyway, in 1927, a notorious, shocking murder occurred here. Back then, the apartments were called the Bellevue Arms. In December of 1927, 19 year-old William Edward Hickman kidnapped 12 year-old Marian Parker, the daughter of an LA banker. He murdered her in his apartment, which was in this building. The crime was particularly shocking and gruesome because he dismembered her but used her armless and leg-less body as a decoy to pick up the ransom money, pretending that she was still alive and fooling the girl's father, who dropped off the ransom money. The apartment building still exists and is being converted into expensive condos.

The house that the Parkers lived in also still exists. I wonder whatever happened to the family...

You can read about the crime here; the website misspells her name as Marion Parker: http://markgribben.com/?p=288
Here is the image and post that brought me to these shores originally. Ah, sopas ej, Beaudry, Gaylord Wilshire, some of the old gang. And by the way, sopas it turned out was wrong about the little girl's name, it was Marion after all.