View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany NY View Post
The exact location of Monkey Island always seems to elude us, but I found something interesting on laist.com. They have posted a flyer for Monkey Island (date unknown) that shows the address as 3300 Cahuenga Blvd.

laist.com

Additionally, HistoricAerials.com has aerial shots of that address from 1948 and 1954, both of which seem to show the plastic "mountain" at Monkey Island (though the park may have been long-since closed by then).

historicaerials.com

historicaerials.com

And finally, by 1972, all traces of Monkey Island seem to be gone. A small park is located there now.

historicaerials.com

So....does this finally end the mystery, or are we still looking for the monkeys?
Nice compilation, Albany but I'm afraid every smidgen of your post has been done on the thread before. I believe, as you do, that what's left of Monkey Island shows in the '48 aerial. But we still have skeptics among us. Here, I'll post an actual picture of Monkey Island while it was open for business...

Aerial view of Cahuenga Pass, December 30, 1939

Kinda hard to see but it's still there and at a minimum this image serves to finally put to rest the Barham Boulevard phantasm, there being no visible construction in the area immediately northeast of Barham and Cahuenga. There you have it, Monkey Island. Lol.

USC digital archive/California Historical Society Collection, 1860-1960

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Apr 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM.