View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
To hell with the Javits center. I feel bad for Mr. Fowle, but seriously.

Split up the block, build a supertall, whatever. That land is way too valuable.
I don't believe this should or will be an "all in or all out" plan. I believe the Javits performs a valuable service to Manhattan and close-in Bkln/Qns subway hoods. And all the millions who work in the city but live in the suburbs. I also think that a convention in a city should showcase that city. The Javits is actually gorgeous inside the reception hall and has a lot of potential on the river side. It need not be enlarged, it's big enough. Freed designed it under the tutelage of I.M. Pei.

cpiengineering

I would have to think twice about going to the auto show all the way out there in Ozone Park. I've ridden the A train dozens of times to Aqueduct, JFK and the Rockaways, it's a long, slow haul. The expressways in the boroughs leading there are invariably clogged while still being aggressive.

But it is adjacent to JFK, not too far from LGA and has clean access to ISP, so I see the logic. I think it can work, but I also believe it would be a mistake to demolish the Javits. They both could stand alone. Two convention centers catering to different types of conventions. I would be very sad to see the Javits go.

And that's my point.