View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Do you really think though that tourists will depart Manhattan in order to shop at a New Jersey mall?
They already do.

Been to Jersey Gardens lately? How about Garden State Plaza? Mall at Short Hills? These places are crawling with foreign tourists, who come by bus, car service or Uber to nearby malls. They even go to Woodbury Common, which must be at least 40 miles from Manhattan.

There are so many foreign tourists at Jersey Gardens, I don't think that mall would even exist without the Manhattan tourist market in proximity. It seems almost purposely designed to attract the Brazillian and British and Chinese shoppers.

Granted, I don't exactly get it. Who wants to visit a foreign country and then waste time at a mall, just to save a few bucks? But, trust me, people do it. My wife does it, my in-laws do it.
Quote:
Consider that Hudson Yards - in close proximity to Penn - will soon offer a wide variety of retail and dining options - among other attractions. Why leave the city when everything one needs and wants is within walking distance?
Because 1. Hudson Yards will be a luxury mall, not a suburban megacenter, 2. NJ is cheaper with lower sales tax and 3. American Dream will be primary non-mall uses, and such uses won't exist in Hudson Yards.

It isn't competing with Hudson Yards, at all, which will attract Manhattanites and some higher end tourists. American Dream will be more for families with kids and the tour bus crowd. The Cheesecake Factory/Dave and Busters crowd isn't going to be attracted to the chef-driven restaurants and luxury boutiques at Hudson Yards.

Here are some of the uses at American Dream:

Indoor ice rink (NHL-sized).
Nickelodeon Universe indoor theme park.
DreamWorks-themed Water Park – A year-round indoor water park.
Movie theater – 26 screen movie theater with outdoor lounge overlooking Manhattan.
Concert hall – 2,400–3,000 seat performing arts and concert venue.
Indoor ski slope.
Miniature golf course
Lucky Strike bowling alley.
Legoland Discovery Center.
Sea Life aquarium.
Quote:
Don't see tourists gravitating to the Meadowlands solely for a shopping or dining experience.
There are hordes of foreign tourists in these suburban malls already. I have no doubt they will gravitate to a closer-in mall, with direct rail to Manhattan, with attractions not available in any other shopping center in the Americas.