View Single Post
Old Posted May 13, 2010, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
City hall is nearing completion in this 1927 aerial

USC Archives

The Bradbury mansion is visible in the lower left hand corner, it has yet to be turned into a parking lot for city hall.

Chinatown still exists, as this a good decade before the construction of union station.

the old times tower building, hall of records and old courthouse makes a nice tryptic
Despite working with maps for a living (and a hobby), I have always had a hard time with the mental spatial associations between the different parts of downtown Los Angeles. This thread and especially this picture has really helped clarify for me the whole layout and composition of the downtown area. Even after jury duty and a few school walking trips, I never realized just how close City Hall is to the original plaza, Olvera Street, and Union Station, and the 2nd and 3rd street tunnels. I always knew that the advent of the skyscrapers pushed downtown more to the west, but inspecting these photos and maps has put it all into perspective for me. Now, if only I hadn't moved away, I could go check it out in person...