View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here is a truly phenomenal photograph of the Swanfeldt Tent & Awning Co. at 220 S. Main in downtown Los Angeles.....eBay

eBay

What's up with the string?....Who's dat upstairs? . . .the young Swanfeldt family?
As you asked many a question in this and subsequent post, I thought I'd zoom in on a few interesting tidbits.

First of all, thought I'd float a theory. Why all the patriotic bunting? Well, here's a May 1901 ad for the Fiesta de las Flores, and it's Swanfeldt's for all your patriotic bunting needs, especially since we have an "honored guest":

Thus maybe they were all turned out for the Presidential visit. I think that also answers the question of "what's with the string?" — though it was not string, but wire. Here is a snippet that talks about McKinley's parade cruising along Main Street, and about the wires that were erected to keep parade-watchers back:

Anyway, let's take a look at that baby—or is it?

Guess we'll never know! Check out mysterious inviso-face guy:

And this lady, who totally did it with Martin Van Buren when she was sixteen:

There's this incredible Odd Fellows lamp in the doorway—

And this one above, of the "Friendship, Love & Truth" interlocking oval rings symbol of the order, done with incandescent bulbs—

But mostly I love these two fellows, who apparently have fashioned sleeves for themselves out of awning material—

Guy on the right is like an even more badass version of Lee Marvin in the Wild One, which you wouldn't think possible, but there you are