View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthd View Post
i recall seeing this edition of time magazine while in high school, circa 1991.

28 years later, the same kind of naysaying continues. extraordinary things have happened since then that i'm not sure anyone could have predicted, mostly good, some bad. there are all kinds of things that seemed like huge problems in the 80s, 90s, and 00s that have been solved or massively improved.

the only true threat to california's vibrancy and diversity and sustainability is affordability, and small steps in the right direction are being made. it won't be the end of the world if the population grows more slowly or flattens out in the meantime.
Yes, this is not the first time the "dream" has been said to be endangered, but our troubles do seem more daunting. At least there have been no major earthquakes near L.A./S.F./S.D. recently. Most have been out in the boonies like Ridgecrest. Yes, I agree that housing affordability is the most important issue. Even many professionals can't afford housing prices in the coastal metros. Teachers in Silicon Valley and Santa Monica have to commute from places like Stockton and Corona if they want to afford homes, or fork over a good part of their salary in rent to live near work. Higher density housing seems like the solution, but the NIMBYs always oppose that.

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 4, 2019 at 11:13 AM.