View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasUrantia View Post

Progress is not always linear? I am not a traffic historian or traffic engineering expert, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn.

The series of photos do provide a window into the evolution of traffic control. The earliest image (late '20s earl '30s) shows diamond signs that we cannot read. Diamond shaped signs were probably stop signs. (See below). The headless street post was probably being fitted with a free standing electric traffic signal as seen in your touched-up photo.

Your image is probably from the late '30s or early '40s and establishes that the intersection was controlled by electronic street signals. Although they may be there, I am uncertain that there are stop or yield signs present. I have to admit that there is a sign in the foreground next to a bus bench, but it might just be a simple bus stop post. Frozen it time, the traffic pattern looks like organized chaos, with a street car thrown in for good measure. If both belt and suspender posted signs and electronic traffic signals were deliberately placed together, I would guess that this had something to do with street car traffic. I am confident that Street Cars were given right-of-way priority in many instances, as they are today. The Vehicle Code provides rules for passing and safety zones, etc. Modernly, certain vehicles, e.g., fire trucks, can control traffic signals via radio. I doubt this existed, in practical form, at the time of the photograph. Is it possible that the two-way street car traffic physically triggered an override of traffic signals, normally controlled via timer? Possible, yes. Probable, very doubtful.

Maybe there is no mystery?
The color photo is supposedly from '54. There are two stop signs. There are no electric traffic controls that I can see. Bus traffic has replaced street cars. As a wild guess, the earlier electronic traffic signals were considered outmoded (no-Mode o Day?) and were in the process of being replaced/upgraded. The most expedient thing to do is place stop signs at each corner.

**Naturally, someone can argue that there was a conspiracy afoot to deter or delay traffic. This would benefit oil companies, auto companies and public transportation. It might even compel people to move downtown or spend time at the Mayfair Hotel waiting for Eliz . . . . ? Never mind.

1925 (Is there any significance to the rock? Is this woman's dress a bona fide traffic hazard? )
USC Digital