View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Well, I mentioned it because billboards have a VERY long history in Los Angeles, perhaps almost as long as Times Square. Somewhere earlier in this thread is a photo from the 1920's of the historic core with billboards.
A key difference is that nearly all of L.A. is still low-profiled enough that ugly rooftop billboards are an effective and attractive option (from the marketer's perspective) nearly everywhere. I agree with those who say they are an ugly nuisance, but haven't missed the irony in the fact that many of their most vehement detractors are the same people who bemoan the creeping loss of that very same low-rise profile that encourages their deployment.

On the other hand I could never quite feel the rage against Times Square-styled graphics and other signage in definitely commercial districts of a city; in fact under certain circumstances they add to the charm and excitement. Many midcentury photographs of Times Square show the neon Planters Peanuts sign--nowhere else was such a humble product given such an elaborate and flashy buildup!