View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 5:51 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
If I were in charge (or if I was Pete Buttigieg) I would push for a restructuring of the USDOT in which MUCH more "brainstorming" and early planning would be actually handled in DC for transit and rail projects nationwide, understanding that cash strapped agencies, even if they may apply for funding and receive, do not even have the financial ability to "think big" and get anything other than a line on a map off the page if you will. In my mind, a division within the DOT could basically be the brain center of every major transit initiiate around the country and could accelerate the planning of major capital investments and expansion projects and use in-house expertise to lesson the burden of local or state agencies to get major projects' design off the starting line. Just think how many projects this would represent, where planning help (think 25% design) from the federal DOT greatly increases the likelihood that transformative projects actually come to fruition and not just sit on a dusty shelf as a rough concept. Think SEPTA Roosevelt subway, multiple NY MTA lines, LA Metro, BART (yes, BART), et cetera et cetera.
totally on board with this, unless anyone has a better idea? a usdot office to guide and support major transit projects and while we are at it another for support for road diets and adding pedestrian/bike lanes. why do cars get all the help and not other forms of transit?