View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 1:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I often contemplated that. Peninsula Halifax may end up looking looking like the peninsula downtown Vancouver sits on. It would obviously require decades to realize, but growth on the peninsula has no where to go but up.

Right now, I'm happy that the traditional downtown is intensifying but it's inevitable that Halifax will start seeing tall buildings in Dartmouth and/or the North end. Who wouldn't want views of the Bedford Basin and/or Dartmouth from a 40 floor condo?
I'm also happy about the downtown developing more density.

There are some in Halifax that believe building height needs to be strictly controlled -- and that towers in the downtown are already too tall. There are others in Halifax who believe we should Manhattanise ASAP...

I believe in a compromise.

I am fine with the areas immediately surrounding Citadel Hill maintaining their height restrictions in order to protect this national historic site and to protect downtown Halifax's bonsai cityscape, which is part of the city's built history; although, there are a number of harbour viewplanes I would reduce and completely remove.

Peninsular Halifax doesn't belong to Citadel Hill, however. I would insist upon big-city height being promoted throughout the North End. So while the peninsula near the Citadel would resemble something like a mini-Vancouver, the north would resemble a mini-Toronto.

I would love for there to be an observation tower in the North End (or rather, the 'Uptown'). Being next to Africville and the Bedford Basin, the MacKay Bridge connected to a more urbanise Dartmouth, and of course with Halifax's historical downtown in the distance -- it would be quite the view.