View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Is Atlanta still even Southern? Asking for a related thread.

On the real, though: Houston, Dallas, and Miami have tantamount import to the importance of Atlanta. We can go all week long debating their relative merits, but there’s no clear stand out. It isn’t the northeast with New York, it isn’t the Midwest with Chicago, and it isn’t the west coast with Los Angeles.

That being said... if you want more fine grained regions not based upon just states, Dallas is the alpha city of the Great Plains, Houston of the Gulf Coast, Atlanta of the Deep South, and Miami of the Caribbean. But they’re all also “southern” in their own unique ways, whatever that means to you or any other poster.

I would ALSO think it would not be controversial to say that of those four, Atlanta is the most clearly “southern.”
I agree with this. Miami, Houston and Dallas are probably all more important nationally but Atlanta is probably the most important city to the south. Given that those other cities aren't necessarily strictly southern cities.

Culturally, Miami isn't really southern, it's more like New York's 6th borough. Houston and Dallas are Texan. I would also Sub classify Houston as a Gulf city, different from Atlanta but still southern...just not as southern as New Orleans.