View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
They just don't build enough affordable housing. It does get built... but the units are always underwhelming in the volume needed. When they say its a housing lottery, it literally is like winning the lottery in terms of odds. 80,000+ folks applying for only a 100-200 units (In NYC for example), its insane.

Even new home construction, sucks. I was speaking to an agent the other day, for Eastern PA, and the amount of new unit construction is paltry.

I think such housing has to be forced on certain cities. Rezone neighborhoods, increase the unit cap, and make developers willing to build such units (incentives, ability to make a profit, curtail community input).

I just question how long this will go on before cities start to really feel the impact to where it effects its growth indefinitely.

Some folks might be fine with it, but look 10...20 years down the line. I mean unless wages magically go up by 40%, places like NYC, SF, LA, Seattle... will start to see some bs. Would suck for those places to turn into Monaco's.
NYC's "Housing Crisis" is one that is wholly political in nature. When you mix the traditional issues of NIMBYism with a visceral fear of "gentrification" nothing truly gets built. Developments with 30-40-50% affordable are screamed out of the room by the various advocacy groups that attend the zoning meetings.

There's simply no economic blueprint for massive amounts of low income housing getting built without the federal government getting involved and we saw where that went the last time (1930s to 1960s). Mixed income neighborhoods are the tried and true blueprint the world over but that is no longer politically acceptable.