View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
The Rapid Transit Project did propose some widening of Lamar north of the triangle. See the Brentwood / Highlands Neighborhood Plan ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/npzd/Austi...ighland-np.pdf (page 93) and Crestview / Wooten Neighborhood Plan ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/npzd/Austi...-wooten-np.pdf (page 62) for details.
While I don't doubt someone proposed/wanted Lamar widened in that area, I wonder how much the street profiles in those documents represent completed engineering plans vs. simply neighborhood input (a lot in those neighborhood plans simply represents "wishes" from the neighborhoods without full vetting).
For instance, it details the intersecton of Lamar and Koening. Which is currently 4 travel lanes, 1 turn lane, and sidewalks immediately adjacent to the travel lanes. While that document proposes 4 travel lanes, 2 left turn lanes, 2 light rail lanes, boarding platforms, 2 bike lanes, green buffer area with trees, then sidewalks. That's _significantly_ wider than the current road cross section. Obviously I haven't been out there with a tape measure, and a couple feet could probably be gained with lane diets on the existing lanes, but I really doubt that so much could be squeezed in without eminent domain acquisition of adjacent properties (in particular the gas station at that intersection seems to be really close to the existing roadway).