View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I can't see any connection between the images in this 1949 Julius Shulman photoset. It's vaguely labeled "Scenics", and jumps around the city. It's "Job 441: Scenics (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1949". I'll start with this view looking south-east across the UCLA campus.

I'm sure we've seen this canyon before, but I just can't place it.

I love this view looking at DTLA from the Arroyo Seco Parkway. The road heading towards the Hall of Justice is N Hill Street. Along the way it passes the China City pagoda. On the right is a road running around the edge of Chavez Ravine over a decade before the opening of Dodger Stadium.

Here's the I Magnin store at Wilshire and New Hampshire which we've seen many times before. It's now the Wilshire Galleria Department Store.

Another I Magnin further west along Wilshire. In front of Saks Fifth Avenue is an attractive little building housing Nobby Knit Shops. In the background is Haggarty's, the Beverly Wilshire Hotel, a Bank of America and the Warner Beverly Hills Theater.

All from Getty Research Institute

Saks Fifth Avenue now extends across the site occupied by Nobby Knit Shops. At some point they seem to have filled in all the windows on the side of the building.

GSV

The old I Magnin store, including an extra floor on the roof, is now also Saks Fifth Avenue.

GSV
In the third picture there's a car in an odd little pull-over on the left. There's nobody behind the wheel. Do you suppose this might be Schulman's own car?