View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 2:34 PM

Hello Everyone,

I've been reading this post since 2008 or maybe earlier and I've finally decided to chime in. I'd like to start off by saying thank you for keeping everyone up to date about the happenings in the area especially LMich, Animatedmartian, Subterranean, Hudkina, JonathanJam, Hayward, mousquet, guiltyspark, euphoricoctopus, the list goes on and you can all consider me a fan of your posts.

In terms of the Wayne State Student Center I'm very skeptical of the plans. Enrollment has defiantly risen, especially from students that come internationally, as well as dorms being at capacity for the first time since being built. However any progress or construction comes very slow and this is the second time in my recent memory that they have slated this structure to be redone. Currently the McDonald's, Taco-bell/KFC & Pizza Hut did not renew their leases or were pushed out. The entire structure looks very old and is very oddly laid out. Much investment has gone into the beautifying of the building but it still looks like a bus terminal(and a not so aesthetically pleasing one at that),

In my opinion the school should raze this building, and if you view it from any angle it has nill architectural significance, rather move the student center idea to another building. After visiting Chicago, I like the whole idea of an urban university being integrated into one large skyscraper. One main issue with Wayne State as a whole is the huge amount of scattered buildings on campus. I can from experience attest to the mismanagement of almost all of the structures minus the few that are for facility only or for incoming students. Many of the buildings are very outdated, and its hard to maintain or secure so many structures.

To wrap they should look to Oakland University for inspiration on what a student center should be.

Again nice to officially meet all of you!