View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 4:00 AM

The Brown Derby Stars in Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
Recently discussed some street signage peculiarities near the Wilshire Brown Derby. Noticed this image, dated 1930, where there is a painted "WATCH TRAFFIC" warning on Wilshire. Assume this practice was short-lived as I don't recall seeing the warning in similar photos. Wonder whether this was a city-adopted traffic/pedestrian warning or something the Derby management employed on behalf of patrons skedaddling to the Ambassador?

Flickr
(The date on the above image isn't correct. The Brown Derby wasn't moved to this corner until 1937).

If you've never seen it, don't miss 1932's Cukor-directed "What Price Hollywood" (the original version of A Star is Born) from RKO, a Constance Bennett vehicle also starring Lowell Sherman, although Eddie "Rochester" Anderson and the Brown Derby (1926) steal the show (if one asks me). The interior and exterior of the Brown Derby, in 1932 still sited west of Alexandria in the middle of the block, is shown to excellent effect in the early part of the film (at least I think it was the real Derby, otherwise it's the best set ever.)

"What Price Hollywood" may be available on DVD by now. TCM has it on regular rotation. It also turns up in revival houses. The last time I saw it was at the ACMPAS HQ on Wilshire in BH with a very appreciative audience of old-Hollywood types. The film looks great on a big screen.

Soon after the Brown Derby was lifted to the second floor of the strip mall where it still resides, I stopped by to find the interior plaster had been removed (probably to reduce the weight for the move). The lath work which forms the shape and held the plaster was incredible, a dense honeycomb of small pieces of wood expertly fitted together to make the smooth dome. I'll always regret not having a camera with me that day. I'd previously thought the Derby must be kind of flimsy, so I was really impressed with the obvious effort and skill that went into constructing it.

Later, after a Korean beer bar had opened in the old Derby, a huge styrofoam replica of the Matterhorn was built in the center, covered in white paint and twinkling clear-glass glitter. Tiny skiers whooshed down the sides towards a circle of ice-filled bins of various brands of Korean beer. What a sight! But it was still an incredible space. I'd live in it if I could.

RKO

The Producer (Sherman) entices the Waitress (Bennett) with dreams of stardom in an old Derby booth. One of the little multi-paned casement windows set into the Derby's hatband is in the background.

P.S. The windows were finally scraped clean of paint after the Derby was moved upstairs in the strip mall, Brown Derby Plaza, in 1980. The windows were painted over sometime after the 1937 move because the Derby was placed so close to the sidewalk I guess, although they're still clear in the photo quoted at the top of this post. The windows are painted over, the Derby's brim extended over the front steps, the front door blocked and the brim filled with potted plants in the circa late 1960's-1970's pic below :-(

LAPL

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: to add P.S.