View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsonrt@csus.ed View Post
I'm new to this and don't know if I can link to a photo of mine on Facebook, but I'll try. My Great Grandfather was William Boardman Glidden and I have a brochure for his hotel. It's about 7" wide (unfolded) and 6.25" tall. I'm not sure when it was built nor when he sold it to H. H. Christie, but my aunt (his granddaughter) worked the switchboard there when she was in school--probably around 1918.

The Christie was built adjoining it on the left (east), the Glidden's architecture carried over to the first two floors of the Christie.
In this picture, looking SE on McCadden Place just north of Hollywood Blvd, you can see a bit of the Hotel Glidden in the distance. In the foreground is the El Rincon Apartments, also built by Glidden in about 1910.

Here's a screen shot from Google street view showing the same today: vacant lot where the Hotel Glidden once stood, the Hotel Christie adjoining it to the east.

Looking back to the NE at the El Rincon Apartments--a much better looking building back then than 100 years later. The young woman (in white dress) standing on the corner is my 1st cousin, 2x removed, Anita Sinclair. Her mother (Glidden's sister-in-law) managed the apartment.