View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Immigration from Latin America has already reached its peak I think (since the 2000s, the proportion foreign born among Hispanic/Latino Americans has fallen). Return migration has also been a factor. So, Hispanics/Latinos are already following the trend of past immigrants from Europe, where the immigrant experience is slowly receding and the American-born generation is the newer face of the ethnicity.

Is the trend for Asians going to follow soon? Asian immigration is now the fastest growing source for the US. Do you foresee it continuing to be high for a decade or two, or more or is it close to peaking?

Countries like Japan stopped sending large immigrant shares once it got wealthy in the 60s, 70s and 80s, and now many East Asian waves have peaked (eg. Vietnamese refugees after the Vietnam war wave was over, South Korea isn't sending as much as South Korea got rich).

China still sends a lot, but there's the potential that it may slow down (either restrictions get tighter due to political issues, or richer Chinese people stay home)

The Indian/South Asian wave of immigration has grown a lot in the 2000s too and might still continue to grow the US population for a while, unless something changes on either end (either more restrictive policies or if the sending country gets richer so fewer want to leave any more).
Why do you ask about immigration into the United States? How about Canada? May I ask why you ask these things of the US? Why the interest?

~ Charles Bukowski