View Single Post
Old Posted May 1, 2015, 11:24 PM

You're thinking of Gil Turner's, which stands on the NW corner of Doheny and Sunset and has been since 1953. It's basically a separate business and both are still going strong today, AFAIK. (See below for correction)

Bing Maps Streetside.

I grew up where Cherokee Lane, Bowmont Drive, and Loma Vista Drive all meet, just over the hill from the spot pictured.

ETA: The Turner family's kids attended the same ES I did, though not at the same time AFAIK. Through that channel I was able to reach out to one Jason Turner, who attended the school in the 1950s and cheerfully gave me the answer to the question he has probably been asked more than any other. Originally the Turners did own both stores and the "Turner" spelling was used for both. In the early 80's, though, the Larrabee store was sold to a new owner, with the stipulation that they would not be able to use the Turner name. So the new owners complied by changing one letter of the spelling. I'd say they got away on a technicality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I see that Terner's is still in business at Sunset and Larrabee. (I'm not sure when Turner's became Terner's)

gsv

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Last edited by Those Who Squirm!; May 4, 2015 at 10:49 PM.