View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Here is a bit about the French Village Apartments from Ken Schessler's 'This is Hollywood', a great little guide to interesting and "unusual" Hollywood sites. I lost my original during one of our expeditions but picked up a used one cheap on Amazon. It's arranged by different neighborhoods and includes basic maps. It also includes Beverly Hills and downtown LA.

"Hidden behind the trees here is one of Hollywood's most unique apartment courts. The unusual shaped bungalows that resemble a small French village complete with a narrow cobblestone street, were built about 1920 by Charlie Chaplin for use as a movie set in one of his pictures. 1330 Formosa"

I took one or two pictures back in 94 or 95 before digital cameras existed. From what I remember, there was a 6 foot fence around the court plus a closed entry gate. But we were able to see the tops of the bungalows. I'll see if I can dig up the pictures when I get a chance.

Thanks, Mike. I found these photos of French Village on Formosa Avenue.

http://allanellenberger.com/book-flm...plin-film-set/

There must be some photos somewhere of that big French-style complex that was on Sunset. I have a vague memory of reading that it burned down, but at the least it was razed.