View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2007, 9:33 PM
Nashwaaksissy

The last of the city's vintage 50s-60s era supermarkets has closed...back when this was Schriver's Save-Easy I knew the owners and out family did their shopping there....

Residents upset about store closure
By RICHARD DUPLAIN
duplain.richard@dailygleaner.com
Published Saturday May 19th, 2007
Appeared on page A3

Shoppers at the Devon Park Atlantic Save Easy are upset the store is closing for good this holiday weekend.

People said they're reluctant to shop elsewhere, but they have no choice.

The store's owner, Atlantic Wholesalers Ltd. in Halifax, says it's also saddened by the store's closure.

"You can't continue operating a business while losing money," said Derk Romain of Atlantic Wholesalers.

He said the store has been suffering a decline in sales.

Some store employees were offered alternative work while others were given severance packages, Romain said.

Store management wasn't able to re-negotiate a lease and the Devon Park Atlantic Save Easy was forced to close, he said.

"It's breaking my heart," said Cathie Hoben of Medley Street.

The housewife and grandmother said she believes the store couldn't survive due to stiff competition from St. Mary's Supermarket.

Hoben said loyalty to a strong community institution made her forget about the slightly higher prices.

"I used to go to the Save Easy about four times a week," Hoben said. "The staff was wonderful and we used to trade recipes."

Tammy Johnston lives on Gibson Street and is the president of South Devon Elementary School's home and school association. She said students benefited from Save Easy's community spirit.

She said the store donated a dollar for every $500 worth of store receipts collected by the school children.

"This amounted to about $150 per year and that helped purchase school prizes, gift bags, special lunches and snacks," Johnston said.

"I'm very disappointed about this closing. There's no one left in walking distance except St. Mary's Supermarket.

"This has really hit home."

Tamara White of Clark Street, a former president of the home and school association, said the Devon Park Atlantic Save-Easy went above and beyond a corporation's duty to the community.

"They have always been supportive of the community and they'd contribute whenever we needed a donation beyond what they were already doing," White said.

"I like to shop in my own community. Now I'll split my shopping between St. Mary's Supermarket and the (Atlantic) Superstore."

Store franchise owner Calvin Sorensen wouldn't make any comment on the Saturday 3 p.m. closure.

Trina MacDonald, general manager of Business Fredericton North, said the Save Easy isn't a member of the business organization.

"But we hate to see any type of business closure," she said. "The Devon Park Save Easy was a good community supporter."

The Fredericton Chamber of Commerce wasn't available for comment.