View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Oh yeah, there's a ton of storytelling going on in a Jackson Pollack or Barnett Newman. Clearly all art is about storytelling...
well, ill admit modern is different. some art simply exists to change the definition of what art can be or to challenge preconceived notions. or to elicit a reaction. and im not opposed to digital art at all.

but i think the whole "storytelling" angle on Lucas' parts seems like a bit of a reach to justify throwing a bunch of unrelated things hes accumulated in his garage together under one roof. ive been in a lot of museums like this, which were built upon collections accumulated by one Rich Guy and they rarely flow well or make much sense being shown side by side. For example, the McNay in San Antonio which, while the grounds are beautiful and the art in general is very nice, dosent really come together to tell a bigger story other than "this is the taste of one individual". I think a lot of the pieces would be more valuable in an encyclopedic type museum where their significance can be placed in context. But thats my 2 cents.