View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I agree with you about the matchbooks Beaudry.

They are extremely 'noirish'. More times than not they were used to pass a clandestine phone number to a possible paramour.
The graphics are intriguingly beautiful. I have some fine examples that I will try to post later.

Welcome to the thread Wenders.
It's very interesting to hear from someone who has spent some time in the 'Frolic Room'.
Do you have any photographs from your time in the area?

I love that 'Hotel La Jolla' sign shaped like a palm tree.
The hotel 'reviews' sound like they were written by the owners to drum up business.

Thanks, Ethereal R.

I went thru my photographs, unfortunately they're practically all close-ups of friends and other people, not showing buildings or any background details that could be interesting. They could be shot anywhere.

However, to me at least, aside from Kodak Theatre/Hollywood Blvd/ Highland Ave complex, and W Hotel -block across the Frolic Room, the neighborhood looks quite same as 20 years ago. Sure, the storefronts are prettied up, there's more tourists activity, and the shabby, good ol' Hollywood is gone, but structure -wise not much have changed.

-Regarding Nirvana Apt. post: Very familar building to me, my girlfriend lived next door, I passed the building often when walking from/to my own apartment, which was on Lanewood Ave, the short, pine tree -lined street between Sunset and Hollywood Blvd. The street and my building appears in last scene of "Francis Farmer" movie (with Jessica Lange. You can see also Hollywood High School's westside wall in the same scene.)