View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg View Post
Is there a way to get ACE trains to Oakland? It's a short ferry to SF from the Jack London Square station.
I had never considered that, and thought it was an interesting idea. I presume it's possible, but there are probably track limitations to adding another train to the schedule. I'm not sure if the ROW is also shared with freight of it's exclusively AMTRAK, but I'd assume it was shared with something else.

I also was interested in seeing whether it was possible to take an ACE train and quickly transfer to a Capitol Corridor train. I looked up the ACE and the Capitol Corridor schedules and the westbound ACE 3 arrives at Fremont at 7:10am and the eastbound Capitol Corridor 524 leaves at 7:11am. So, assuming the trains keep a reliable schedule, you could transfer from an ACE train to a Capitol Corridor train. It leaves little breathing room, though, for people who have somewhere to be, especially when you consider the next Capitol Corridor train leaves at 9:38am. Similarly, the eastbound Capitol Corridor 542 train arrives in Fremont at 4:51pm and the ACE leaves at 5:05pm. That would give you a little more leeway if trains were running off schedule. So, in theory, there is one round trip connection each day. I don't think it would be reliable enough for someone to commute on every day on time, but anything is possible. Also, instead of transferring at Jack London Square, they could transfer to BART at the Oakland Coliseum.