View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 2:53 PM

Re: 351 Ugly

You have to remember that there is a very vocal minority in St. John's (mostly residing from Georgetown to the Battery), that are against anything downtown, except the circa 1910 4 flat buildings (which they call historical).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
It was very surprising for me last night to hear people at the downtown forum referring to 351 as ugly. One person even referred to it as a "light blocking monstrosity." It blows my mind how nothing new can be built here.

That being said, I had a surprisingly interesting conversation afterwards with Shannie Duff, who told me she loved 351 and her only concern is that the shop fronts will be filled with something like a Tim Horton's instead of a neat boutique or grocery store. But she made a point to tell me that she agreed with the people bashing it and she thinks that it's a solid development.

It was interesting to hear that come from her, as I had her pegged as someone who would naturally be against it. I was disappointed though to hear the negative feedback from the crowd. I think 351 is anything BUT ugly.