View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 5:01 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
Instead, we have lost some of our idealistic innocence as we wear our 'Rose Colored' glasses less.
How rose colored are our glasses really? How many of us on this forum (in Denver, above the age of say 25) - despite our love of transit - do not still drive a car at some point nearly every single day?

Reminds me of the classic Onion article:

Quote:
Report: 98 Percent Of U.S. Commuters Favor Public Transportation For Others

ISSUE 44•27 ISSUE 36•43 • Nov 29, 2000

WASHINGTON, DC–A study released Monday by the American Public Transportation Association reveals that 98 percent of Americans support the use of mass transit by others.

Traffic moves slowly near Seatte, WA, where a majority of drivers say they support other people using mass transit.

"With traffic congestion, pollution, and oil shortages all getting worse, now is the time to shift to affordable, efficient public transportation," APTA director Howard Collier said. "Fortunately, as this report shows, Americans have finally recognized the need for everyone else to do exactly that."

Of the study's 5,200 participants, 44 percent cited faster commutes as the primary reason to expand public transportation, followed closely by shorter lines at the gas station. Environmental and energy concerns ranked a distant third and fourth, respectively.

Anaheim, CA, resident Lance Holland, who drives 80 miles a day to his job in downtown Los Angeles, was among the proponents of public transit.

"Expanding mass transit isn't just a good idea, it's a necessity," Holland said. "My drive to work is unbelievable. I spend more than two hours stuck in 12 lanes of traffic. It's about time somebody did something to get some of these other cars off the road."

Public support for mass transit will naturally lead to its expansion and improvement, Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials said.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/rep...blic-tra,1434/