View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
''Housing for All''
''Free Healthcare''
''Everyone is equal'' ect.

The Bay Area is famous for being super far left swinging, and this generally means that people favor more left leaning policies, like universal healthcare and government subsidies ect.

I understand why current homeowners wouldn't want more housing, obviously. But a good chunk of the voting population is renters, who would most certainly want more housing units constructed.
You're conflating all sorts of things.

Most of California isn't "liberal" and even most liberals don't support "housing for all" and "free healthcare". Yes, obviously most believe in equality, but that isn't a liberal take.

The Bay Area isn't "super left". SF, Oakland and Berkley are "super left". Silicon Valley, which has the crazy home prices, is politically moderate. Actually the super left areas are some of the most affordable areas. Even lefty-leaning Marin has lagged, because it doesn't have tech.

There are more homeowners than renters. Why would homeowners want cheaper housing? My aunt in Coastal CA, a retired nurse, has a modest oceanfront house that's probably worth $4 million. You think she's crying about her home values? Maybe she should have bought in Cleveland or Detroit back in the 70's, so her children and grandchildren would get nothing when she dies.

Also, she's in a traditionally conservative area that's very NIMBY and still has tons of Republicans (southern Orange County). I bet you the remaining Republicans are every bit as NIMBY as the liberals. Still tons of Republicans in places like Newport Beach and Dana Point, even a decent share of hard-core Trumpies.