View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 14, 2006, 5:28 PM

Various shots of St. John's from my past several trips back home.

Great view of a cruise ship coming in through "The Narrows", I didn't take this photo, but it is amazing!

View of the Battery, a fishing village within St. John's. People originally built houses here to be the closest to the fishing grounds.

Driving through the Battery, streets don't get much narrower than the ones you can find here.

Parked inside the Battery.

Looking past Fort Amherst from inside the Battery on a foggy warm summer morning.

A dreary early morning fog hangs over downtown.

Cape Spear, the most easternly point in North America, do you see the old man with the pointy nose in the cliffs?

View from next to the Cape Spear Lighthouse, the fog is swallowing the mountain side and windy road that brings you out to the cape.

Typical St. John's "Jellybean" row houses

Winter in downtown St. John's, winter is a strange season in the city; you can have several feet of snow on the ground one day, the next day it's warm, rainy and melting away, only to come back again the next day

February wind is howling off the mighty North Atlantic on top of Signal Hill.

Three mainlanders drowned in this area of Cape Spear last summer. Don’t play with Mother Nature; I don’t care how strong you can think you can swim, the waves have been swimming a little longer.

Mid day on George Street. Later in the evening when most bars are closing in North America, George is at is peak! People all of all ages celebrate shoulder to shoulder on the world's biggest little street.

O'Rielly's Newfoundland Irish Pub.

With 42 bars on a one block street, George Street has the most pubs per square foot of any street in North America.

George Street late in the night, or early in the morning, depending on how you look at it. My camera is seeing the world the way I am by this time, dark and blurry

Early morning on Water Street, we were walking back from an afterhours club in downtown as other people were walking to work. For a city of its size, it has unsurpassed nightlife!

Water Street (formly Lower Path), the oldest street in North America.

Old meets new, meets ugly!

How many cities do you see an old man playing the accordian in the street

View of Signal Hill and Cabot Tower, with a steady stream of ships coming and going servicing the offshore oil rigs.

Some of the best traditional pubs in St. John's can be found hidden within small lanes between the busier main streets.

View of the downtown and east end from "The Rooms"

Having a lunch after hiking out to the top of Red Cliff.

The Basilica of St. John The Baptist.

Heading through rawlins cross into downtown.

The east end of town.

Aerial view of the city near the Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN), I didn't take this photo.

A sign of the times.