View Single Post
Old Posted May 8, 2015, 12:56 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Very true.

I just love the sense of entitlement. We have that a bit on the federal level as well - but the idea that a guy doing seasonal work in Gallants and paying a pittance in property taxes is not getting what he's paying for cracks me up. Sure buddy your $300 property tax is keeping the province afloat.

They don't pay enough taxes in their lifetimes to cover the cost of the hydro pole by the house. It's all subsidized by the urban areas. Yes, we all pay, but the urban areas are the only places where enough people pay for services that can be more affordably provided to create the tax surplus used to keep everywhere else going.

We have, what, 15 hospitals and 29 clinics. For a province with the population of a small city. We spend about $12,500 per person in provincial expenditures. Every other province is in the $7,000-$9,000 range. It can't go on.

People have to choose: electricity, running water, roads, and government services OR living where Pop did.
Preach it buddy.

My question constantly though, is what is the answer? You obviously can't forcibly remove people. So do you just shut down the services? The heartless and pragmatic side of me says yeah, close down a few hospitals and schools. But I don't think any politician is going to do that.

So what is the solution? I honestly don't know, aside from relocation. Have any politicians in the past put forward any reasonable alternatives?