View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 5:53 AM

The Langham Apartments

I stumbled across this thread about two weeks ago and since then most of my free time has been spent reading the 600+ pages of it. I thought I was an architectural photo sleuth but I tip my hats to all of you. This thread is amazing! I don’t think I read anything about The Langham Apartments at 715 S. Normandie in this thread so I thought I would make it my first contribution.

The Langham is a Beaux-Arts apartment building built in 1926. It has 7 floors of apartments, a penthouse and a roof top pool. Supposedly the first high rise roof top pool in Los Angeles. Also on the roof top is a giant green neon sign that bares the building’s name. The lobby has a very tudor vibe and it’s best aspect is the hand painted ceilings.

People have told me notable residents of the past are Ronald Reagan and Clark Gable. But I do know that when Billy Graham lived there, he received a telephone call that would help propel his evangelical career into an almost over night success.

The noir part of the Langham? Of course is murder. Lenny Breau, considered to be one of the best Canadian guitarists of all time, was found dead floating in the roof top pool.

USC Digital Photo Archives
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/91331/rec/1

This scan is one I made from a magazine I purchased.

Scan by Mr.Swink from a magazine page I own.