View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 1:30 AM
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
A Note:

My posts have been fewer (and more succinct) recently because I've been having problems with my computer. I keep getting unresponsive pages (among other things) when I try to go back and forth between Skyscraperpage and Imageshack. A post that might have taken me a few minutes in the past is now taking 20 minutes (and that twenty minutes is full of frustration).

I'm thinking of getting a new hard-drive, but then all my pictures (probably close to 200,000 saved photographs) will be on my old computer. So whats the best way to transfer them to a new computer? Or should I just get additional memory on the computer I have now? You can probably tell I'm not computer savvy at all.

I have hundreds, if not thousands, of posts waiting to be, well, posted.

__
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

I don't know what type of computer you own, but have you tried a different browser?

For transferring your photos, there are a couple of options. I've just checked a well-known online retailer, and they are selling 128 Gb USB flash drives starting at about $40. They say that's big enough for 32,518 photographs, but the figure is for 14 megapixel pictures whereas yours are likely to be much smaller. I'd guess you could transfer all your pictures in one go and keep them on the flash drive as backup. Alternatively, you could take the hard drive out of your old computer and put it in a USB enclosure (they can be bought for under $10). Then you could copy the pictures across to the new computer, or use your old hard drive as an external drive. Sorry if that sounds complicated - it's actually pretty easy.
Depending on what type of computer you have, or more specifically the interface on your hard drive, you can install it in a new computer. Most if not all new computers have SATA drives. If your computer is 5 years old or so, it probably has an IDE drive.
For about $75 you can get a 500 GB external drive and copy and paste your "picture" folder to it. Not a bad idea at anytime. You'll have them should anything happen to your PC.