View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 11:19 AM

New treasures

I just recently returned from my first visit to Los Angeles in two years.

First stop on my pilgrimage was to pay homage to the Hammel/Arcade Depot palm on the 100th anniversary of its transplantation to Exposition Park. Upon my arrival, I was a bit alarmed to see that it had recently been the recipient of a rather severe crown trimming...

All photos by Yours Truly.

Left over from the arborists' perhaps overzealous labors, however, was this shorn fragment of the oldest living thing in the City of Los Angeles. Needless to say, it instantly became an addition to my humble little L.A. history collection.

Next stop was Bruno Street in Sonoratown. Just over a month ago, MichaelRyerson posted here about the last extant in situ granite paving setts in Los Angeles, and I was eager to see if I could acquire one for myself. As you can see below, I was successful! (Don't worry, I didn't remove it from the street itself. I'll be telling the whole story of its acquisition in my own blog soon.)

It just so happens that a couple of weeks before, MichaelRyerson graciously gave me one of the paving bricks that he recovered from the last, now-obliterated relict of old Mignonette Street.

His brick and mine make a rather nice pair, I must say.

Last edited by JScott; Dec 27, 2017 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Repaired broken image links