View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 8:52 PM
aka GM on SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Not a stupid question at all. It was called the Great Migration. You can read more about it here and here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The black population in every major U.S. city increased rapidly from the end of WWII until the 1980's.

This was called the Great Migration, and involved rural blacks in the American South moving to bigger cities for economic opportunity (and, to a certain extent, especially in the earlier years, to escape discrimination).

The biggest growth in black population was in cities with a manufacturing base that were relatively close to the South.

Midwestern cities with a manufacturing base, especially Detroit, Chicago, and Cleveland, received huge black populations. The major Northeastern cities (except for Boston) also received huge populations (DC also because federal jobs didn't discriminate, for the most part). And in the West, LA and Oakland had huge increase, with folks working in the shipyards and other new opportunities.
I've already heard about the Great Migration but I didn't think it was so important. I mean, it's a really huge growth in Black population between 1950 and 1980. Also, why was it apparently more important in Détroit than in other northeastern american cities ? And, on another scale, why Blacks moved predominantly to the inner city and not to some suburbs ? Why did it happen essentially after the WW2 and not earlier, because I guess it was already not that cool to be a Black in the South in the late 1800's or in the early 1900's ?