View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 1:26 AM

Much of the situation may be caused by the geography of the region. Unlike in eastern Michigan, rivers in West Michigan tend to flow into a smaller lake right before they reach Lake Michigan (i.e. Macatawa River into Lake Macatawa in Holland, Kalamazoo River into Kalamazoo Lake in Saugatuck-Douglas, etc.). Notable exceptions include Grand Haven and South Haven, and these areas seem to have more beach-tourism. Most of the cities were built either on the smaller lakes or on one of the rivers before they reached a smaller lake. Therefore, the towns are often slightly removed from Lake Michigan and the beaches. (Holland's beach, for example, is located on the other side of Lake Macatawa compared to downtown Holland. Due to this, the two areas are typically separate destinations). Those cities that are closer to Lake Michigan have larger marinas or old port facilities that separate their downtowns from the beach. Places such as Grand Haven and South Haven are trying to remedy this, and they are developing boardwalks along their respective rivers. However, they are more scenic and recreational than commercial.

Also, many of the towns on Lake Michigan were connected to Chicago directly by steamers, or the railroads brought tourists directly to their resorts. Due to, this, there probably was not much interaction between the towns and their resorts as much as you may see elsewhere.

I hope this answers most of your question! If you still have wonderings, please let me know! By the way, I definitely recommend going to Grand Haven. If you can make it for the Fourth, they have a (typically) very well-put-together musical fountain and fireworks show at dusk. I'll be there, as I have been going for years. South Haven would also make for a nice mid-way stop. I think you may be pleasantly surprised by what you find!

Last edited by JonathanGRR; Jul 9, 2013 at 11:36 PM.