View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 1:56 AM
Ex Houstonian

Destroyed My Most Expensive Lens

Well, I hate my life right now. I went around downtown taking photos, didnt even take any. Put my D700 with my 14-24 Nikon on the tripod, heard it click, thought it was on there good. But no, of course not. It popped right off and went plummeting a good 6 ft to the cement, landing right on the top of the lens. Luckily, my camera seems to be fine but my damned 2200 dollar lens is stuck on 14mm, the lens hood is smashed and broken and theres rattling inside. It still takes photos but its blurry now on the edges and pretty well screwed. Im sure its f$%ked up. Somehow the autofocus still works fine but the lens is no good now that its blurry except for in the middle of the image. I just hope I can send it to Nikon and they can fix it for a fairly reasonable price, but Ill probably have to buy a new damned lens and I cant afford a 2200 dollar lens again.

I had been wanting that lens ever since I started photography, hell its the main reason I bought a D700 so I could use the 14-24mm on it. Ive had that lens for about 6 months now. Ive never destroyed any of my camera equipment for the last 10 years Ive been doing photography. FML. The front element seems to be fine as theres no cracked glass. Even if they can fix it, it will probably still cost a good 500 bucks probably.