View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2016, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks for your story about Virginia O'Brien Martin Pal.

Here's a remarkable photograph; Virginia is at far left.

Photoplay 1944

http://www.jgdb.com/radio44.htm

I'd love to have a CD of those Christmas recordings by these ladies!
(I collect Christmas/Holiday music! I have over 700 cd's, and a list of
that many more I'd like to get!)

P.S.: I remember Frances Langford being one of Bob Hope's favorites, and she often accompanied him on his U.S.O. shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's Ms. O'Brien in 1984, around the time you saw her downtown M P.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...hoto/569118201

Do you remember where you saw her downtown?
I've been trying to figure it out. I have a call in to the person I went with back then, but haven't heard back yet. The Masquers sounded like that might have been it, but it wasn't downtown, so it's not. (Plus, lol, it was demolished in 1985!) Now I'm leading toward the Variety Arts Center which was on Figueroa. I'm reading that in the late 70's the building was purchased by an organization called The Society for the Preservation of the Variety Arts and they named it the Variety Arts Center. Programming in the theatre included a mix of shows intended as a tribute to variety and vaudeville entertainers. I was looking at interior photos of the theatre and it seemed way bigger than the space we saw her perform in, but then I read that there was a smaller upstairs theatre they called "The Masquers Theatre," which is perhaps why I thought it sounded right at first, I don't know. This organization also had a library focused on vaudeville and related topics.

However, I can't find any online source saying that Virginia O'Brien appeared there, so I didn't want to post any photos of that place as I'm not sure yet. I am also wondering if, perhaps, that is where she recorded the album as it was called "The Masquers Theatre." Online sources can often be confused about things.