View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
So many amazing photos in the latest update. What's so great about them (aside from being in color) is that they give so much context to the buildings we already know. So many shots of entire blocks and street corners that really give you a much more clear sense of all the buildings in relation to one another. One of his photos really interested me in particular, one that was labeled as the "Oldest old Bldg in Down Town LA Figueroa 5th to 6th." I know the photo is dark but it's there, in the middle of a parking lot. Looks like it was located just south of the Vanderbilt Apartments. Anyone know anything about this building?

HDL

Tetsu--That's not the Vanderbilt at the left in the HDL shot--I'm thinking this might be Fremont if not Figueroa between 5th & 6th... given the positions of the Sunkist and the Edison building and the library. Perhaps that's the Cecilia at left-- but were any of these wooden buildings west of Figueroa still there by the mid-50s? (Judging by the newest car I see, a '56 Buick....). Anyone?

Historic Map Works